"As for man, his days are like grass; as a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, and its place acknowledges it no longer.
But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him..."
~Psalm 103:15-17a

My Busy Life

So, what have I been up to recently?  Just a few things...
  • Working full time at Purdue as an Administrative Assistant (a temporary job)
  • Planning, organizing and more planning as the VBS Director (a VBS where we are creating our own curriculum, no less!)
  • Teaching a class of 8-12 energetic two year olds each Sunday
  • Studying God's Word and enjoying fellowship with a small group each Monday evening
  • Babysitting two adorable children on Tuesday nights
  • Leading a small group of 3-5 year olds in Awana Wednesday evenings
  • Preparing a talk on human trafficking for a class at church
  • Knitting a blanket for a special baby boy arriving sometime in late May
  • Thinking about the 300 cupcakes I'll be making come July for a wedding of some dear friends
I am so thankful to God for the opportunities He's given me to serve!  But I have decided that while it is nice to be busy, I miss the times I had to sit and think or to spend time reading books that made me think and the long times I was able to spend alone with God.  It's not that I've completely cut these out of my schedule, but it's much harder to spend time reading, thinking and praying when it means getting up an hour earlier.  I like my sleep too much.  Then again, the problem really starts the night before, when I'm too lazy to go to bed.  (I'm not really sure how that works, but...)  Am I committed enough to studying God's Word and to prayer to discipline myself to go to bed on time so I can get up on time?  If I am not doing this, it really is showing that I don't think it is vital - that I think I can live without it.  I am being reminded again that this is not true.  I need to be alone with God - to talk to Him and to listen to Him.  My time in the Word is not some optional only-if-you-have-time activity, but it is essential to my busy life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! That's exactly what I need to hear. I am always too lazy to go to bed, and as a result of that, too tired to get up. This semester has been hard overall mostly due to that. Let's pray for each other on that! Thanks for your talk on human trafficking too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vivian. Yes, it is definitely a challenge. I'd appreciate your prayers and will pray for you as well when I pray for that area myself!

    ReplyDelete